Designated Agents

FInd who is right for you

Name a Designated Agent

In Pennsylvania, you are permitted to name a designated agent (other than next of kin) to carry out your wishes for the disposition of your body. Perhaps the most useful laws are those permitting you to name a designated agent for body disposition. If you are estranged from next-of-kin or were never married to your significant other, for example, the designated agent law allows you to name someone other than a legal spouse or relative to carry out your wishes.

>  Your Rights

Pennsylvania statute Pa.C.S., Subsection 305, gives citizens the right to make a “statement of contrary intent” that will override the next-of-kin’s usual authority and let the citizen designate whom they want to control the disposition of their body.

*Almost all states honor the legal rights and documents of your home state if death occurs while traveling.